Bonding Company Serving Lake Butler, FL
With more than 50 years of experience in the bail bonds industry, Roundtree Bonding Agency is ready and able to assist you in releasing a family member or friend from jail. Our agents are available 24/7 to write bail bonds in Lake Butler, FL, and Union County. Contact us today.
First Appearance Hearing
After a person is arrested in Union County, FL, they’re taken to the Union County Jail in Lake Butler, FL. If they’ve been arrested on a warrant that has a bond endorsement, they have the option to bond out immediately. But, many times there isn’t a bond endorsement on the warrant. A first appearance hearing is held the next morning with the defendant appearing in front of a judge.
During this hearing, the judge will:
- Ensure the defendant understands the charge(s);
- Determine if they qualify for a public defender and assign one if necessary; and
- Determine the defendant’s bond status.
The judge generally has three options for a jail bond in Lake Butler during the first appearance hearing. They may:
- Release the defendant without bond, called Release on Own Recognizance (ROR);
- Set a bond amount for the charge(s);
- Keep the defendant in jail without bond.
Release on Own Recognizance
When the defendant is issued ROR in Lake Butler, FL, they’re first required to promise, in writing to the court, they’ll be at all court dates until the case is fully resolved. If the defendant breaks the promise, at any point, they’re subject to immediate arrest in Union County, FL. The defendant also likely gives up the option for a reasonable bond amount going forward.
A bond hearing in Union County, FL is often requested by the defendant’s attorney when bond is denied or the amount is considered too high. The judge can reconsider the previous bond determination, including lowering the bond amount or changing it to ROR.
If cash bond is paid to the Union County Jail, you'll likely receive most of it back once the case is complete. Courts sometimes keep a part for court costs and fees.
Bail Bond Fees
Another option for helping secure the defendant’s release from jail is having a bail bondsman such as Roundtree Bonding Agency put up the bond amount. The fee for this option is 10 percent, as mandated by Florida law. A bail bond fee is nonrefundable.
If a bond is too high to be paid in full at one time to Roundtree Bonding Agency, a bonding agent writing bail bonds in Lake Butler, FL, we may be able to set up a payment plan for your situation.
It’s not uncommon for a bail bond agent to request a cosigner on a bond. If you’re asked to cosign a bond, you should understand:
- Signing means taking on full liability for the full bond amount; and
- It’s a guarantee the defendant will be at each court appearance in Union County, FL until the case is resolved.
By having a cosigner on a bail bond, Roundtree Bonding Agency, a bonding agent writing bail bonds in Lake Butler, FL, is also guaranteeing to the court the defendant will appear when required.
Union County, FL Bail Bonds Process
If a friend or family member is being detained in the Union County Jail, here are some things that you can do to speed up the Union County Bail Bonds process.
- Call our office toll free at (352) 376-6645.
- Be ready to provide the defendant’s full name, bond amount, and the county the charges are in. It’s also helpful if you can provide the defendant’s date of birth (DOB) and/or booking number.
- Once we have your information, as well as the defendant’s, and all bonding-related paperwork is complete, we can then bond them out of jail.
The defendant is usually released in a few hours, but the process can take eight or more.
Bail Bondsman Serving Lake Butler, FL
A licensed bail bondsman agency established in 1956, our agents write bonds in Union County and every part of Florida. We offer fast, friendly, and confidential service. Owner Rick Roundtree has been a licensed bondsman since 1978 and agent Sean Thomas has been licensed since 1996.
If you need a bond written in any part of Florida, the dedicated team at Roundtree Bonding Agency can help. Contact us today!